27th SGIFF: Masterclass | Naomi Kawase
MASTERCLASS WITH NAOMI KAWASE
(Suzaku, Shara, Still The Water, An)
29 NOV 2016, TUE / 7.00PM / 60MIN
Session will be in Japanese with English translation
IMPORTANT TICKETING INFORMATION BELOW
One of the most well known contemporary Japanese filmmakers today, Naomi Kawase’s fiction and non-fiction works have transcended cinemas and theatres to make their way into museums and arts institutions. Her thematic explorations on the state of modern Japanese society, female representation, dysfunctional family structures, coupled with her own personal reflections, have attracted a loyal following of film programmers, critics and audiences. Get up close and personal with the prolific filmmaker, as she shares how she perceives her own work, and find out why she remains one of the most pertinent and enigmatic names in Japanese cinema today.
Naomi Kawase was born in 1969 in Nara, Japan. She graduated in 1989 from the Osaka School of Photography and stayed to teach for a further four years at the institution. One of her earliest films, Embracing, cemented her autobiographical style of directing, focusing on her family history, drawn from the rural landscape she grew up in. In 1997, Kawase became the youngest winner of the Best New Director award at the Cannes Film Festival for her debut feature Suzaku. She has made more than 30 films since, including various critically acclaimed documentaries and fiction works. Amongst her accolades are the FIPRESCI prize for Hotaru (2000), Grand Prix at Cannes for The Mourning Forest (2007) and the Chevalier Ordre des Art des Lettres of France in 2015.
• A fully refundable fee of $5 will be charged for each ticket booking. Register and turn up for the event. If you turn up, the booking fee will be refunded by Peatix electronically, otherwise, it will be forfeited.
• Seats are issued on a first-come-first-served basis (free seating arrangement).
• Registration will close on 29 Nov 2016, 9am. Any cancellations must be made before the ticket cut-off date and time, otherwise your registration will be locked-in.
• The refund will be handled by the credit card company of the credit card used to purchase the tickets. The refund process will vary depending on the cut-off date of the credit card.
• Should the refund be done before the credit card cut-off date: The refund process will be handled in the current month so no money will be deducted for ticket payment. In most cases, both the ticket payment and the refund will appear separately on the credit card statement.
• Should the refund process be done after the credit card cut-off date: The payment of the ticket order will be processed. Peatix will refund the amount in the next month through a negative invoice.
Note: Peatix are unable to look up cut-off dates of credit cards. Peatix accepts VISA, MasterCard and AMEX.
LINKS TO OTHER MASTERCLASSES:
- ANURAG KASHYAP
- DARREN ARONOFSKY
- FRUIT CHAN
- DARREN ARONOFSKY
- HERMAN YAU
- TRAN ANH HUNG
LINKS TO OTHER TALKS:
- CINEMA LEGEND: SIMON YAM
- THE ROAD TO MANDALAY
- MUTATING MYTHOLOGIES - HYBRID CINEMA OF LATIN AMERICA
- ACTORS UNSCRIPTED WITH JACK NEO
- DEVELOPING SCREENPLAYS IN SINGAPORE
- ELEVATING YOUR STORY THROUGH SOUND DESIGN
- EXPLORING VR360 IN SHORT FILMS
- FUTURE OF CINEMA FORUM
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM SGT
Free Seating (Refundable) $5.00
On sale until Nov 29, 2016, 9:00:00 AM
- Venue Address
- 6 Bayfront Ave, 018974 Singapore